Thursday 10 February 2011

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?



A convention is a set of agreed or generally accepted standards, norms, social norms or criteria, often taking the form of a custom. My music magazine is based on mainstream genre of music and leans more towards girls rather than boys, so this means I would have pink as one of my main house style to catch the target audience’s attention, a lot of fashion pages and the latest news of celebrities. I was influenced by some magazines such as Vibe, Blender and NME. I liked how Vibes contents page title was written, I also liked how Blenders magazine title was bold and simple and a bright colour used against the background and finally I liked the way NME’s contents pages were laid out.

Front Cover
‘BANNED’ is the title of my magazine. I titled it ‘BANNED’ as my target audience is aimed at teenagers and most teenagers are rebellious. Naming it ‘BANNED’ may catch their eye and they may feel like the magazine is ‘BANNED’, therefore would buy it to rebel. I have chosen a generic position for the masthead to be on the left hand side at the top of the page. I chose to keep the title simple as I didn’t want the magazine looking over the top and messy as there was a lot going on in the main image. Also, as it is the largest font on the page it will be the focal point anyway. The bands are placed along the top of the front cover to show the viewer what kinds of artists are featured in my magazine. I have placed my cover lines at the side of the page around the main image. I decided to place ‘100 new style ideas for your winter wardrobe’ as this will attract young girls attention because they are always wanting to change their appearance and wanting to know what is the latest thing in fashion. The bar code is placed bottom right so it is discrete and not the main focal point of the page. I have placed the date and the magazine’s website on the side of the bar code; this is usually in a small font so that it doesn’t detract from the more important items on the front cover. In the main image the models are all staring at the camera which will draw the readers in, this is a generic convention of magazines as they all have to compete when they are on the shelf. I chose to do a long shot as I wanted the props in the photo and I wanted the text around the band. The main cover line’s subject is the main image, I have put a box round the word ‘Exclusive’ to make it seem more appealing and I have used a dark pink for the band name ‘Vanity’ to draw the reader’s attention.

Contents Page
For my contents page the font from the front cover stays the same on the contents page to stick with the house style. The colour scheme pink, navy, black and white also carries on through this page, this keeps continuity within the magazine and makes it clear and easy to read. I have placed the date and the magazine’s website at the top right hand corner so the audience can see where they can look for more information about the magazine. It is generic to have the contents divided into ‘Features’ and ‘Regulars’ as then regular buyers can look specifically at each section. The word ‘Features’ could connote something special and I have put them in order of importance. I have a ‘Fashion & Beauty’ section in my contents page as my target audience would be interested in this as most teenage girls want to change their appearance often and like to know the latest trends. In my image three young girls are denoted, I have used just one image for my contents page as I want to show the audience that this is the main and most important story of the magazine. I asked the girls to dress appropriately in pastel colours and in clothes that young girls would wear so they can connect with the target audience. The girl in the middle isn’t smiling and giving an impression of attitude unlike the girl on the right who is smiling and looking happy this could make the viewer feel more relaxed. Underneath the main picture I have placed the photographers name so the audience could search them if they wanted to see more of the pictures they have taken.

Double page spread
In this double page spread I have used many conventions to keep a similar layout to existing magazines of the same genre. I have used a drop cap for the start of my kicker to make it clear to the audience where it begins. For each question of my interview I have made the question bold so it stands out for the audience and makes it clear and easy to follow. I have also used a pull quote; this takes an interesting quote from within the text which causes the reader to want to read on. I have written ‘Vanity’ at the bottom of the interview so it looks as if they signed it which makes it more personal. I have titled this interview ‘VANITY REVEAL ALL’ in my colour scheme and the biggest font on the page so it stands out and will be the first thing the audience look at. I coloured the text ‘Vanity’ in pink so it stands out from the page and so people know who the band are. By adding a ‘Quick fire round’ at the bottom of the page, this makes the interview more fun and interesting to read and I thought it was something different that most magazines don’t normally include.

No comments:

Post a Comment